- retardation; delay
- (offensive slang) a person with mental retardation
- (offensive slang) a stupid person, or one who is slow to learn
- French: attardé
- (transitive) To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder
Translations: Etymology: < or , from retarder, from retardare, retardÄre, to retard, from re-Latin, re- + tardus, slow
- retard the march of an army
- retard the motion of a ship
- (transitive) To put off; to postpone.
- to retard the attacks of old age
- to retard a rupture between nations
- (transitive) To stay back.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for retard for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.