verb (requir, ing)
- (Have two sense: active or passive) 'Active' creates an obligation, 'passive' do not create an obligation.
- A sandwich requires bread.
- I require a sandwich.
- To demand or exact as indispensable; to need.
- To ask as a favor; to request.
Etymology: From requerre (French: requérir), , from requirere.
- Dutch: vereisen
- French: demander, exiger (1, 2)
- German: bení¶tigen (1, 2)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for require for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.