- To present again or anew; to present by means of something standing in the place of; to exhibit the counterpart or image of; to typify.
- To portray by pictorial or plastic art; to delineate; as, to represent a landscape in a picture, a horse in bronze, and the like.
- To portray by mimicry or action of any kind; to act the part or character of; to personate; as, to represent Hamlet.
- To stand in the place of; to supply the place, perform the duties, exercise the rights, or receive the share, of; to speak and act with authority in behalf of; to act the part of (another); as, an heir represents his ancestor; an attorney represents his client in court; a member of Congress represents his district in Congress.
- To exhibit to another mind in language; to show; to give one's own impressions and judgement of; to bring before the mind; to set forth; sometimes, to give an account of; to describe.
- To serve as a sign or symbol of; as, mathematical symbols represent quantities or relations; words represent ideas or things.
- To bring a sensation of into the mind or sensorium; to cause to be known, felt, or apprehended; to present.
- To form or image again in consciousness, as an object of cognition or apprehension (something which was originally apprehended by direct presentation). See Presentative, 3.
- Dutch: voorstellen
- French: représenter
- German: darstellen, reprí¤sentieren
- Italian: rappresentare
- Spanish: representar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for represent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.