- Any considerable and connected part of a space or surface; specifically, a tract of land or sea of considerable but indefinite extent; a country; a district; in a broad sense, a place without special reference to location or extent but viewed as an entity for geographical, social or cultural reasons.
- the equatorial regions
- the temperate regions
- the polar regions
- the upper regions of the atmosphere
- An administrative subdivision of a city, a territory, a country or the European Union.
- (historical) Such a division of the city of Rome and of the territory about Rome, of which the number varied at different times; a district, quarter, or ward.
- (figuratively) The inhabitants of a region or district of a country.
- (anatomy) A place in or a part of the body in any way indicated.
- the abdominal regions
- (obsolete) place, Place; rank; station; dignity.
- (obsolete) The space from the earth's surface out to the orbit of the moon: properly called the elemental region.
- Dutch: streek
- French: région
- German: Gegend , Region , Raum
- Italian: regione
- Spanish: región
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for region for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.