- A smoke-cured herring.
- (idiom) A clue that is misleading or that has been falsified, intended to divert attention (from the use of smoked herrings to mislead hounds following a trail).
- "Gall, the guy that does the hyp act is too shrewd, I think, to have committed such a smart murder and left himself with his pants down with no other red herring around." --Svengali Kill http://www.blackmask.com/books19c/svengalikill.htm
- Dutch: vals spoor , afleidingsmanoeuvre
- French: diversion
- German: falsche Fí¤hrte , Nebelkerze (figurative), Ablenkung (general); see also: auf dem Holzweg sein (idiomatic) = being mislead
- Italian: specchietto per le allodole (idiomatic)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for red herring for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.