- A person who lives in self-imposed isolation or seclusion from the world, especially for religious purposes; a hermit.
- (obsolete) The place where a recluse dwells; a place of isolation or seclusion.
- A brown recluse (spider.)
Etymology: From Old (and modern) French reclus, past participle of of reclure, from Latin recludere "enclose", from re- + claudere "close".
- (now rare) sequestered, Sequestered; secluded, isolated.
- (now rare) hidden, Hidden, secret.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for recluse for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.