- A line of people, vehicles or other objects, in which the person or object at the front end is dealt with first, the one behind is dealt with next, and so on, and which newcomers join at the opposite end.
- A waiting list or other means of organising people or objects into a first-come-first-served order.
- (computing) A data structure in which objects are removed from one end, called the head, and added to the other, called the tail, in an analogous manner to a queue in the sense above. This method of queueing being called first-in first-out is often abbreviated to FIFO.
- (computing) A having the head and the tail at the same end; a LIFO queue, a stack.
- (history) A hairstyle in China during the times of the Emperors. It was a long braid in the back of the head with a bald part in the front.
verb (queues, queueing or queuing, queued)
- Dutch: wachtrij
- German: Wartezimmer, Warteschlange
- Italian: fila
- Spanish: fila
- (intransitive) Of a person or vehicle, to put oneself or itself at the end of a queue (in sense 1).
- (intransitive) Of people or vehicles, to arrange themselves into a queue (in sense 1).
- (context, transitive, computing, informal, with "up") To enqueue, to add something to a queue.
Etymology: French queueFrench, queue, from Latin cauda
- Italian: mettere in fila
(trans-top, add something to a queue)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for queue for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.