|queer as a clockwork orange||
- (simile) strange, odd, unusual
- (simile) unusually camp, undoubtedly homosexual
- a1997: Tony Harrison, quoted in Sandie Byrne's introduction to Tony Harrison: Loiner (ed Sandie Byrne, 1997)
- :He sauntered the flunkied restaurant, queer /As a clockwork orange and not scared. /God, I was grateful for the nights we shared.
Etymology: Cockney phrase from East London indicating something bizarre internally, but appearing natural, human, and normal on the surface. The phrase became popular as a result of the novella A Clockwork Orange written by Anthony Burgess.
- Spanish: mí¡s raro que un perro verde
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for queer as a clockwork orange for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.