- A person belonging to a province; one who is provincial.
- (Roman Catholic Church): A monastic superior, who, under the general of his order, has the direction of all the religious houses of the same fraternity in a given district, called a province of the order.
- A country bumpkin.
- Of or pertaining to province; constituting a province; as, a provincial government; a provincial dialect.
- Exhibiting the ways or manners of a province; characteristic of the inhabitants of a province.
Etymology: provincialis; Province, confer Provencal.
- "Provincial airs and graces." Macaulay.
- Not cosmopolitan; countrified; not polished; rude; hence, narrow; illiberal.
- Of or pertaining to an ecclesiastical province, or to the jurisdiction of an archbishop; not ecumenical; as, a provincial synod. Ayliffe.
- (obsolete) Of or pertaining to Provence; Provencal.
- "With two Provincial roses on my razed shoes." -Shak.
- limited in outlook; narrow
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for provincial for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.