- the place and time where some artifact or other object originated from.
- the history of ownership of a work of art
- the copy history of a piece of data, or the intermediate pieces of data utilized to compute a final data element, as in a database record or web site (data provenance - computer science)
- the execution history of computer processes which were utilized to compute a final piece of data (process provenance - computer science)
- documentation which supports any of the above
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for provenance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.