verb (proves, proving, proved, proved or proven)
- (transitive) To demonstrate that something is true; to give proof for.
- I will my method is more effective than yours.
- The hypothesis has not been proven to our satisfaction.
- To turn out; to manifest.
- It proved to be a cold day.
- Have an exit strategy should your calculations incorrect.
Etymology: Via from , compare French prouver.Compare Russian pravda, truth.
- Dutch: uitwijzen
- French: prouver
- Spanish: probar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prove for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.