- any of the prophets mentioned in the Bible, especially an author of one of the Prophets
- Muhammad (used with The)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Prophet for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- Someone who speaks by divine inspiration.
- Someone who predicts the future; a soothsayer.
Etymology: propheta, from propheta (later reinforced in English by Anglo-Norman prophete), from Ancient Greek (polytonic, ) (prophÄtÄs) "one who speaks for a god" < (polytonic, ) (pro) "before" + (polytonic, ) (phÄmi) "I tell"
- Dutch: profeet , waarzegger , waarzegster
- German: Prophet , Prophetin
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prophet for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.