noun (rfc-level, Noun at L4+ not in L3 POS section)
- A moving or going forward; a proceeding onward; an advance
- In actual space, as the of a ship, carriage, etc.
- In the growth of an animal or plant; increase.
- In business of any kind; as, the of a negotiation; the progress of art
- In knowledge; in proficiency; as, the of a child at school
- Toward ideal completeness or perfection in respect of quality or condition; -- applied to individuals, communities, or the race; as, social, moral, religious, or political
- A journey of state; a circuit; especially, one made by a sovereign through parts of his own dominions.
- The Queen embarked on her last spring.
- the advance or growth of modern, industrialized society, its technology, and its trappings
- The of society can be uneven.
verb (progress, es)
- Dutch: vooruitgang
- French: progrès(fr)m
- German: Fortschritt (1,3)
- Italian: progresso(it)m
- Spanish: progreso(es)m
- (intransitive) to move, go, or proceed forward; to advance
- They through the museum.
- (intransitive) to improve; to become better or more complete
- Societies unevenly.
Etymology: From progres (French: progrès), from Latin progressus > pro- + gressus, past participle of progredi.
- French: progresser
- Spanish: progresar(es)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for progress for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.