verb (profligat, ed)
- An abandoned person; one openly and shamelessly vicious; a dissolute person.
- An overly wasteful or extravagant individual.
- To drive away; to overcome.
adjective (rfc-level, Adjective at L4+ not in L3 POS section)
- 1840, Alexander Walker, Woman Physiologically Considered as to Mind, Morals, Marriage, Matrimonial Slavery, Infidelity and Divorce, page 157:
- : Such a stipulation would remove one powerful temptation to pennyless seducers, of whom there are too many prowling in the higher circles ;
Etymology: From (term, profligatus, prÅflÄgÄtus, wretched, abandoned), participle of (term, profligo, prÅflÄgÅ, strike down, cast down)
- Inclined to waste resources or behave extravagantly.
- overthrown, Overthrown; beaten; conquered, especially by vice.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for profligate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.