- (archaic) Anything, as goods, etc., taken or got by violence; anything taken by force from an enemy in war; spoil; booty; plunder.
- That which is or may be seized by animals or birds to be devoured; hence, a person given up as a victim.
- A living thing that is eaten by another living thing.
- The rabbit was eaten by the coyote, so the rabbit is the coyote's .
- German: Beute
- Dutch: prooi
Etymology: Via Middle English and Old French preie from Latin praeda
- to victimize, hunt, attack or plunder.
- to devour.
- to exert harmful influence.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prey for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.