- A powerful leader; a monarch; a ruler
- w:William Shakespeare, Shakespeare, "Henry VI, Part I", 1592
- :But kings and mightiest potentates must die, For that's the end of human misery.
- w:Theodore Dreiser, Theodore Dreiser, "Sister Carrie", 1900
- :She was now one of a group of oriental beauties who, in the second act of the comic opera, were paraded by the vizier before the new as the treasures of his harem.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for potentate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.