- man-made, small lake
- (colloquial) The Atlantic Ocean. Especially in across the pond.
- Dutch: De Atlantische Oceaan
- French: étang , mare
- German: Der groíŸ, GroíŸe Teich
- Italian: stagno
- Spanish: charca , estanque , laguna
- To block the flow of water so that it can escape only through evaporation or seepage; to dam.
Etymology: Variant of pound.
- 2004, Calvin W. Rose, An Introduction to the Environmental Physics of Soil, Water and Watersheds http://books.google.com/books?id=TxCQ-DaSIwUC, ISBN 0521536790, page 201:
- The rate of fall of the surface of water ponded over the soil within the ring gives a measure of the infiltration rate for the particular enclosed area.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pond for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.