- (context, law) That which is alleged by a party in support of his cause.
- (context, law) More strictly, an allegation of fact in a cause, as distinguished from a demurrer.
- (context, law) Still more strictly, the defendant"s answer to the plaintiff"s declaration and demand.
- (context, law) A cause in court; a lawsuit; as, the Court of Common Pleas. See under Common.
- (rfdate) The Supreme Judicial Court shall have cognizance of pleas real, personal, and mixed. --Laws of Massachusetts.
- That which is alleged or pleaded, in defense or in justification; an excuse; an apology.
- (rfdate) Necessity, the tyrant"s . --Milton.
- (rfdate) No must serve; "t is cruelty to spare. --Denham.
- An urgent prayer or entreaty.
- Dutch: (t, nl, pleidooi, n), (t, nl, smeekbede, f)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for plea for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.