- A widespread affliction, calamity, or destructive influx especially when seen as divine retribution.
- A of locusts
- (disease) The disease "plague", caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis and mostly known by its variant form bubonic plague.
- (pathology) An epidemic or pandemic caused by any pestilence, but specifically by the disease "plague".
verb (plagues, plaguing, plagued, plagued)
- French: (t, fr, peste)
- Dutch: plaag
- German: Plage
- Italian: peste
- Spanish: plaga
- (transitive) To harass, pester or annoy someone persistently or incessantly.
Etymology: From (term, plage, lang=enm) < (term, plaga, plÄga, blow, wound, lang=la). Cognate with Dutch (term, plaag, lang=nl), German (term, Plage, lang=de), Swedish (term, plíga, lang=sv), French (term, plaie, lang=fr) and Polish (term, plaga, lang=pl).
- Wikis are often plagued by vandalism
- (transitive) To afflict someone with a disease or calamity.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for plague for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.