- A hole in the ground.
- A seed inside a fruit; a stone or pip (Eng.) inside a fruit.
- A shell in a drupe containing a seed.
- Area at the auto racetrack used for refueling and repairing the cars during a race
- (music) A section of the marching band containing mallet percussion instruments and other large percussion instruments too large to march, such as the tam tam. Also, the area on the sidelines where these instruments are placed.
- A mine
verb (pit, t, ed)
- Dutch: pit
- French: fosse
- German: Box
- Italian: box
- Spanish: foso
- (transitive) To bring into opposition, as in "to pit one's wits against someone".
- (transitive) To make pits in.
- Exposure to acid rain pitted the metal.
- (transitive) To remove the stone from a stone fruit or the shell from a drupe.
- One must a peach to make it ready for a pie.
- (context, intransitive, motor racing) To return to the pits during a race for refuelling, tyre changes, repairs etc.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pit for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.