noun (plural: persons, people (by suppletion))
- Human being; individual.
- Specific human being.
- Where is the ?
- The physical body of a specified individual.
- Meanwhile, the dazed Sullivan, dressed like a bum with no identification on his , is arrested and put to work on a brutal Southern chain gang. " New York Times, 2004
- Any individual or formal organization with standing before the courts.
- By common law a corporation or a trust is legally a .
- (grammar) A linguistic category used to distinguish between the speaker of an utterance and those to whom or about whom he is speaking. See grammatical person.
Etymology: From persone < persone (human being, French personne) < persona (a dramatic mask, hence role, part, character), possibly < Etruscan phersu ("mask").
- Dutch: m(nl, persoon)f
- French: personne(fr)f
- German: Person(de)f
- Italian: persona(it)f
- Spanish: persona(es)f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for person for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.