- A nonexistant or empty value or set of values.
- Zero; nothing
- (computing) the ASCII character hex"00"
- (computing) the attribute of an entity that has no valid value
- Having no legal validity, "null and void"
Etymology: From nul, from nullus.
- 1924, Marcel Proust, Within a Budding Grove:
- : In proportion as we descend the social scale our snobbishness fastens on to mere nothings which are perhaps no more than the distinctions observed by the aristocracy, but, being more obscure, more peculiar to the individual, take us more by surprise.
- absent or nonexistant
- (mathematics) of the null set
- (mathematics) of or comprising a value of precisely zero
- (context, genetics, of a mutation) causing a complete loss of gene function, amorphic.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for null for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.