- Of, facing, situated in, or related to the north.
- (context, of a wind) blowing, Blowing from the north; northerly.
- Characteristic of the North of England (usually capitalised).
- Les Dawson was a famous Northern comedian.
Etymology: northerne < northOld English, north (cognate with (OHG.) nordrÅni).
- French: septentrional , septentrionale
- Spanish: septentrional, norteí±o
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for northern for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.