verb (mortif, i, ed)
- (italbrac, usually used passively) to embarrass
- I was so mortified I could have died right there, instead I fainted, but I swore I'd never let that happen to me again.
- to discipline oneself by suppressing desires
- Some people seek sainthood by mortifying the body. I wonder if such ascetics are masochists?
- (context, medicine) (of part of the body) to die
- The loss of blood flow caused the toe to and they had to amputate the foot to save the life.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mortify for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.