noun See mike
proper noun (countable and uncountable; plural Mikes)
- (defn, English)
- (countable) (given name, male), diminutive of Michael.
- (uncountable) The letter M in the ICAO spelling alphabet.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Mike for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- (informal) A microphone.
verb (mik, ing)
- 1970, Theodore Sturgeon and Edward H. Waldo, "The Pod in the Barrier", in A Touch of Strange, Ayer Publishing, ISBN 0836935225, page 28,
- :"Then I say to the recording, for the record," I barked, right into the , """
- 1981, John Swaigen, How to Fight for What"s Right: The Guide to Public Interest Law, James Lorimer & Company, ISBN 0888624220, pages 118"119,
- :Obviously, one must watch what one says in the vicinity of a microphone. More than one person has made a "private" statement in the presence of an open .
- 2007, John Sellers, Perfect from Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life, Simon and Schuster, ISBN 0743277082, page 85,
- :When the haggard bartender informed us that there would be an open- event later in the evening, I got my first sense that not everyone in Manchester cared about the music the city has produced.
- To place one or more microphones (
- Noun, mikes) on.
- 1994 September, Jim Gaines, transcribed in Alan di Perna, "Step Lively: Recalling the recording process of SRV"s IN STEP with album producer Jim Gaines", in Guitar World Magazine, reprinted in Guitar World Presents Stevie Ray Vaughan: Stevie Ray In His Own Words, Hal Leonard (1997), ISBN 0793580803, page 81,
- :"And sometimes I"d just have to the room. You could run into some weird phasing problems with the individual mics because the speakers were all reacting differently."
- 1996, J.R. Robinson, quoted in Mark Huntly Parsons, The Drummer"s Studio Survival Guide: How to get the best possible drum tracks on any recording project, Hal Leonard, ISBN 0793572223, page 72,
- :He knows me, I know him, and I know how he"s going to the drums and what selection of mic"s he's going to use.
- 2006, Glenn Haertlein, Project Vectus, Lulu, ISBN 1-4116-8414-1, page 108,
- :"Zeb, is everything go on the AV equipment?" I heard Jim ask. Â¶ "Yep," Zeb replied. "I just need to him up." " "All set," he said once he clipped the wireless microphone to my shirtfront.
- To measure using a micrometer.
- 1983, Tom S. Wilson, How to Rebuild Your Big-block Chevy, HPBooks, ISBN 0895861755, page 98,
- :Measure Valve-Stem Diameter"To be positive about it you"ll have to the valve stem with a 1-in. micrometer as explained on pages 100 and 101.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mike for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.