- (always ) A device that measures things.
- A parking meter.
- The base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI), equal to the distance light will travel in a vacuum in 1/299792458 second.
- (music): an increment of music; the overall rhythm; particularly, the number of beats in a measure.
- (context, Prosody): The rhythm pattern in a poem.
- Dutch: meter
- French: mètre
- Italian: metro
- Spanish: metro
- German: Meter
Etymology: From mètre, originally from (metron) "a measure".
- To measure with a metering device
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for meter for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.