noun (mercies, -)
- (uncountable) relenting; forbearance to cause or allow harm to another
- She took on him and quit embarassing him.
- (uncountable) forgiveness or compassion, especially toward those less fortunate
- Have on the poor and assist them if you can.
- (uncountable) a tendency toward forgiveness, pity, or compassion
- Mercy is one of his many virtues.
- (countable) Instances of forebearance or forgiveness.
- Psalms 40:11 Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O Lord
Etymology: , from merci.
- Dutch: Genade
- German: Gnade
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mercy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.