- A spoken lesson or exposition, usually delivered to group.
- During class today the professor delivered an interesting .
verb (lectur, ing)
- French: conférence, cours magistral
- German: :de:Vorlesung, Vorlesung,
Etymology: From lectura "action of reading", from lectus (past participle of legere "to read"), from Proto-Indo-European
- To teach, by giving a speech on a given topic.
- To berate, to scold.
- leg- "gather, collect" (cf. legein "to say, tell, speak, declare", originally, in w:Homer, Homer, "to pick out, select, collect, enumerate"; lexis "speech, diction;" logos "word, speech, thought, account"; lignum "wood, firewood," lit. "that which is gathered"). To read is to "pick out words".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lecture for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.