- The loose part of a coat; the lower part of a garment that plays loosely; a skirt; an apron.
- An edge; a border; a hem, as of cloth.
- The part of the clothing that lies on the knees or thighs when one sits down; that part of the person thus covered; figuratively, a place of rearing and fostering; as, to be reared in the lap of luxury.
- The upper legs of a seated person.
Translations: verb (lap, p, ed)
- The boy was sitting on his mother's
- (italbrac, archaic (17th century)), (euphemistic) The female pudenda.
- (transitive) To place or lay (something) so as to overlap another.
- One laps roof tiles so that water can run off.
- (transitive) To polish, e.g., a surface, until smooth.
- (intransitive) To lie partly on or over something; to overlap.
- (transitive) To overtake a straggler in a race by completing one more lap than them.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for lap for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.