verb to knock up
- (context, UK, slang) To awaken someone in the morning.
- 1892, Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Speckled Band
- :"Very sorry to knock you up, Watson," said he, "but it's the common lot this morning. Mrs. Hudson has been knocked up, she retorted upon me, and I on you."
- 1966: Ngaio Marsh, Killer Dolphin
- :"I didn't knock you up when I came in," Peregrine said. "There seemed no point. It was getting light. I just thought I"d leave the note to wake me at seven. And oddly enough I did sleep. Heavily."
- (context, UK) To go door-to-door on an election day to persuade your/your candidate's supporters to go to the polling station and vote.
- (context, US, slang, idiom) To make someone pregnant.
- To put together, particularly if done hastily or temporarily.
- I'll just a quick demo for the sales presentation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for knock up for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.