- Something that has been isolated.
verb (isolates, isolating, isolated, isolated)
- Spanish: (t, es, aislante, m)
- (transitive) To set apart or cut off from others.
- (transitive) To place in quarantine or isolation.
- (context, transitive, chemistry) To separate a substance in pure form from a mixture.
- (transitive) To insulate, or make free of external influence.
- (context, transitive, microbiology) To separate a pure strain of bacteria etc. from a mixed culture.
- (transitive) To insulate an electrical component from a source of electricity.
Etymology: (back-form, isolated, nodot=5), from (term, isolé, lang=fr), from (term, insolato, lang=it), from (term, insulatus, lang=la) (cognate with (term, insulate)).
- Italian: isolare(it)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for isolate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.