adjective ((compar) more irrational, (superl) most irrational)
- Not rational; unfounded or nonsensical.
- an irrational decision
- (mathematics) (no comparative or superlative) Of a real number, that cannot be written as the ratio of two integers.
- The number π is irrational.
Etymology: From ancient Greececirca 500 B.C."Irrational" originally meant only that a number could not be expressed as a ratio. But for the pythagoreans it came to mean something threatening, a hint that their world view might not make sense, which is today the other meaning of "irrational".
- Dutch: irrationaal, irrationale
- German: irrational
- French: irrationnel , irrationnelle
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for irrational for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.