- An unnamed tropical weather pattern "to investigate" for development into a significant (named) system. A temporary designation by the U.S. http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/ Naval Research Lab Joint Typhoon Warning Center and http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ National Hurricane Center. Internal jargon (possibly teletype abbreviation) in the 1980's. Appears today on some tracking maps, e.g. tropical storm advisories at the http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ wunderground.com tropical weather page. Designation, e.g. <code>91e</code>, is a cyclic number (90-99) and a letter suffix for oceanic region:
- <code>a</code> - Arabian Sea
- <code>b</code> - Bay of Bengal
- <code>c</code> - North Central Pacific Ocean
- <code>e</code> - Northeast Pacific Ocean
- <code>l</code> - North Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea
- <code>p</code> - South Pacific Ocean
- <code>s</code> - South Indian Ocean
- <code>w</code> - Northwest Pacific Ocean
- (dated) To clothe or wrap (with garments).
- To envelop, wrap, cover.
- 1667: Night / Invests the Sea, and wished Morn delayes " John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 1, ll. 207-8
- To commit money or capital in the hope of financial gain.
- To spend money, time, or energy into something, especially for some benefit or purpose.
- The contributors to the Wikipedia and Wiktionary projects have invested countless hours into this resource..
- To ceremonially install someone in some office.
- To formally give someone some power or authority.
- To lay siege to.
- (intransitive): To make investments.
Etymology: From Latin investire, from in- + vestire "clothe".
- French: investir
- German: investieren
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for invest for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.