- An established organisation, especially one dedicated to education, public service, culture or the care of the destitute, poor etc.
- The building which houses such an organisation.
- A custom or practice of a society or community - marriage for example.
- (Informal) - A person long established with a certain place or position.
- The act of instituting.
Etymology: From French, institution.
- Dutch: instelling
- French, institution
- German: Institution (1,3,4)
- Spanish: institución
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for institution for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.