- The sameness some individuals share to make up the same kind or universal.
- The difference or character that marks off an individual from the rest or the same kind.
- A name or persona by which one is known.
- This criminal has taken on several identities
- Knowledge of who one is.
- I've been through so many changes, I have no sense of identity.
- This nation has a strong identity.
- (cattag2, Algebra, Computing) Any function which maps all elements of its domain to themselves.
- (algebra) An element of an algebraic structure which, when applied to another element under an operation in that structure, yields this, second element.
Etymology: Learned borrowing from Vulgar Latin identitas, ultimately from Classical Latin idem meaning "the same".
- Dutch: identiteit
- French: identité(fr)f
- German: Identití¤t (1,2,3,4)
- Spanish: identidad(es)f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for identity for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.