- A main, direct public road, especially a multi-lane, high speed thoroughfare connecting major population centers.
Etymology: (term, heahweg, hÄahweÄ, main road), corresponding to high + way (Old English (term, heah, hÄah, of great height, tall) < Proto-(Ger.)
- Dutch: hoofdstraat , hoofdweg , autosnelweg , autostrade
- French: grande route
- German: Autobahn
- Italian: strada maestra
- Spanish: carretera
- (term, kaukhaz) < Proto-
- (term, Appendix:Proto-Indo-European roots, koukos, , hill); + Old English (term, weg, weÄ, lang=ang, road, path) < Proto-Germanic
- (term, wegaz) < Proto-Indo-European base
- (term, Appendix:Proto-Indo-European roots, wegh-, to move).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for highway for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.