- (countable) The skin of an animal.
- (countable) (italbrac, mainly British) A covered structure from which hunters, birdwatchers, etc can observe animals without scare, scaring them.
- A medieval land measure equal to the amount of land that could sustain one free family; usually 100 acres. Forty hides equalled a barony.
verb (hides, hiding, hid, hidden)
- Dutch: huid , vel , vacht , leer
- French: cache(fr)f
- German: Hochsitz
- (transitive) To put (something) in a place where it will be harder to discover or out of sight.
- He hides his magazines under the bed.
- The politicians were accused of keeping information hidden from the public.
- (intransitive) To put oneself in a place where one will be harder to find or out of sight.
- Dutch: zich verbergen, zich verstoppen, zich wegstoppen
- French: se cacher(fr)
- German: sich verbergen, sich verstecken
- Italian: nascondersi(it)
- Spanish: esconderse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hide for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.