- (geometry) A half-sphere, formed by a plane intersecting the center of a sphere.
- (geography) Half of the Earth, the Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, Western Hemisphere or Eastern Hemisphere.
- (anatomy) Either of the two halves of the cerebrum.
Etymology: From hemisphírium < Ancient Greek (polytonic, á) (hÄmisphairion) < (polytonic, á-) (hÄmi-) "half" and (polytonic, á) (sphaira) "sphere"
- Dutch: halfrond , hemisfeer
- French: hémisphère
- German: Hemisphí¤re , Halbkugel (rare, e.g., in Erdhalbkugel "half the Earth")
- Italian: emisfero
- Spanish: hemisferio
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hemisphere for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.