- a person who protects or watches over something
- (military) A squad responsible for protecting something.
- The president inspected the of honour.
- a part of a machine which blocks access to dangerous parts
- (Aus) panel of a car which encloses the wheel area, especially the front wheels.
- (context, Basketball) A relatively short player, playing farther from the basket than a forward or center.
- (cricket) The position on the popping crease where a batsman makes a mark to align himself with the wicket (see to take guard)
- The offensive positions between the center and each of the offensive tackles
- (sports) A player playing a position named guard
- (railways) An employee who normally travels in the last vehicle of a train and is responsible for the safety of the train
- Dutch: wacht(nl)m, bewaker(nl)m
- German: Schutz(de)m
- Spanish: aleta(es)
- To protect from some offence (specific or abstract.)
Etymology: From Old French ( > modern French garde), from Old Frankish (from Proto-Germanic wardo-), cognate with Old English weard ( > English ward).
- Dutch: bewaken
- French: garder(fr)
- German: schí¼tzen(de)
- Spanish: vigilar(es)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for guard for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.