- The surface of the Earth.
- terrain, Terrain.
- soil, Soil, earth.
- The worm crawls through the .
- The bottom of a body of water.
- basis, Basis, foundation, groundwork, legwork.
- background, Background, context, framework, surroundings.
- A soccer stadium.
- Manchester United's is known as Old Trafford.
- An electrical conductor connected to the ground.
- The British equivalent is earth.
- A level of electrical potential used as a zero reference.
- (cricket) The area of grass on which a match is played (a cricket field); the entire arena in which it is played; that part of the field behind a batsman's popping crease where he can not be run out (hence to make one's ground)
- Dutch: neuter(nl)m
- German: Erdboden(de)m
- French: terre(fr)f
- To connect (an electrical conductor or device) to a ground.
- (transitive) To require a disobedient child to remain at home, usually as a punishment.
- The teenager's father decided to ground him for two weeks after he broke curfew again.
- (transitive) To forbid (an aircraft or pilot) to fly.
- Becasue of the bad weather, all flights were grounded.
- (baseball) to hit a ground ball; to hit a ground ball which results in an out. Compare fly (verb(regular)) and line (verb).
- Jones grounded to second in his last at-bat.
- (cricket) (of a batsman) to place his bat, or part of his body, on the ground behind the popping crease so as not to be run out
- Dutch: vliegverbod opleggen(nl)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ground for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.