- A loose mixture of dried fruit, nuts, frequently salt, and sometimes other ingredients; designed as an energy supplement while hiking, climbing, canoeing, etc.
Etymology: Some claim an acronym for good, Good old, Old raisins, Raisins and peanuts, Peanuts, but this is probably a backronym. The Oxford English Dictionary cites a 1913 reference to the verb "gorp", meaning "to eat greedily".
- 1985, w:Anne Tyler, Anne Tyler, w:The Accidental Tourist, The Accidental Tourist, Knopf, ISBN 039454689X, chapter 19,
- :"They were living in their pajamas so as not to have too much laundry. They were eating for their suppers."
- :"I'm not even going to ask what gorp is," Sarah said,
- :"It's a mixture of wheat germ and nuts and dried""
- 1996: Brian M. Parks, http://groups.google.com/group/rec.backcountry/browse_thread/thread/73537e3812d16464/54d6ed1eacf2a34b?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1
- 54d6ed1eacf2a34b gorp in rec.backcountry
- :...also take some cheese and hard salami and crackers which are normally not contained in to give even more variety. variety is the key here, and a bag of curtails this.....unless of course you wish to pack ten different varieties of with you :^)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gorp for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.