- The condition and quality of being godly, pious, scrupulously observant of all the teaching's of one's religion, practicing virtue and avoiding sin.
- 1562 Bishops, Priests, and Deacons are not commanded by God's laws either to vow the estate of single life or to abstain from marriage. Therefore it is lawful also for them, as for all other Christian men, to marry at their own discretion, as they shall judge the same to serve better to . " The Thirty-Nine Articles, s:Thirty-Nine Articles, Point 32.
- 1604 Nay, but he prated,
- And spoke such scurvy and provoking terms
- Against your honour
- That, with the little I have,
- I did full hard forbear him. " Shakespeare, Othello'', s:The_Tragedy_of_Othello,_The_Moor_of_Venice
- ACT_1._SCENE_II._Another_street., Act 1, Scene 2
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for godliness for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.