- A hard gelatin made by boiling bones and hides, used in solution as an adhesive; or any sticky adhesive substance.
- (obsolete) birdlime, Birdlime.
verb (glues, gluing or glueing, glued)
- Dutch: lijm
- French: colle
- German: Klebstoff , Leim
- Italian: colla
- Spanish: cola , goma
- (transitive) To join or attach something using glue.
- I need to the chair-leg back into place.
- (transitive) To cause something to adhere closely to; to follow attentively.
- His eyes were glued to the screen.
Etymology: From Old French glu (now "birdlime"), from late Latin glus, glut-, from Latin glutenLatin, gluten.
- Dutch: lijmen
- French: coller
- German: leimen
- Italian: incollare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for glue for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.