verb (inf=to give up, gives up, giving up, gave up, given up)
- (transitive) to surrender
- He was surrounded, so gave himself up.
- His friends gave him up to the police.
- (transitive) to stop or desist; to quit
- They gave up the search when it got dark.
- (transitive) to relinquish
- He gave up his seat to an old man.
- (transitive) to lose hope
- They gave him up for dead.
- (transitive) to abandon
- I gave up my faith years ago.
- (intransitive) to admit defeat
- OK, I , you win.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for give up for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.