- Any plant of a genus (Zingiber, especially Zingiber officinale) of tropical Asiatic and Polynesian herbs of a family (Zingiberaceae, the ginger family) with pungent aromatic rhizomes used as a condiment and as a stimulant and acarminative.
- The rhizome of this plant used as a spice either as it is or in dried powdered form.
- (colour) A reddish-brown colour/color.
- <table><tr><td>ginger colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- 80461B" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- (context, colloquial, derogatory) A person with reddish-brown hair.
verb to ginger
- French: rouquin
- Dutch: gember
- German: Ingwer
- Italian: zenzero
- Spanish: jengibre
adjective ((compar) more ginger, (superl) most ginger)
- to treat with care
- (used to describe hair) Of a reddish-brown colour.
- flavoured with ginger.
- (context, Cockney rhyming slang, derogatory) Queer (ie, homosexual) (short for ginger beer, rhyming with queer).
- Dutch: ros, rosse
- French: roux , rousse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ginger for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.