verb (inf=to get up, gets up, getting up, got up, (UK) got up, (US) gotten up)
- (literally) To move in an upwards direction; to ascend or climb.
- ''I'm having difficulty getting up the stairs.
- To rise from one's bed.
- I didn't until midday.
- To move from a sitting or lying position to a standing position; to stand up.
- Get up off the couch and clean this mess!
- To materialise; to grow stronger.
- As dusk fell a storm got up.
- To bring together, amass.
- The general got up a large body of men.
- To gather or grow larger by accretion.
- The locomotive got up a good head of steam.
- I could see that he was getting up a temper.
- German: aufstehen, sich erheben
- French: se lever
- Italian: levarsi
- Spanish: levantarse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for get up for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.