- A product sold under a generic name
- A wine that is a blend of several wines, or made from a blend of several grape varieties
- Very comprehensive; pertaining or appropriate to large classes or groups as opposed to specific
Translations: Etymology: Latin genus, generis, race, kind: compare French générique.
- "...the essence is that such self-describing poets describe what is in them, but not peculiar to them,---what is , not what is special and individual." — Walter Bagehot (1826-1877)
- (biology) Of, or relating to a genus (italbrac, not comparable)
- Not having a brand name
- Of a drug identified by its chemical name
- (grammar) Specifying neither masculine nor feminine e.g. salesperson
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for generic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.