- A precious stone, usually of substantial monetary value or prized for its beauty or shine.
- (figurative) any precious or highly valued thing or person
- She's an absolute gem.
- (obsolete) a gemma or leaf-bud
- a type of geometrid moth, Orthonama obstipata
Etymology: gimm, Äimm, from gemmaLatin, gemma; refashioned in Middle English under the influence of Old French gemme
- Dutch: edelsteen
- French: joyau , pierre précieuse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gem for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.