- (uncountable) equipment or paraphernalia, especially that used for an athletic endeavor.
- (countable) a wheel with grooves (tooth, teeth) engraved on the outer circumference, such that two such devices can interlock and convey motion from one to the other.
- (countable) a particular combination or choice of interlocking gears, such that a particular gear ratio is achieved.
- (countable) A configuration of the transmission of an motor car so as to achieve a particular ratio of engine to axle torque
verb to gear
- French: engrenage
- German: Gangschaltung
- Spanish: engranage
- Italian: cambio
Translations: Etymology: From gervi.
- To fit with gears in order to achieve a desired gear ratio.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for gear for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.