- The act of founding, fixing, establishing, or beginning to erect.
- The of his institute has been wrought with difficulty.
- That upon which anything is founded; that on which anything stands, and by which it is supported; the lowest and supporting layer of a superstructure; groundwork; basis.
- The lowest and supporting part or member of a wall, including the base course (see Base course (a), under Base, n.) and footing courses; in a frame house, the whole substructure of masonry.
- The foundations of this construction have been laid out.
- A donation or legacy appropriated to support a charitable institution, and constituting a permanent fund; endowment.
- That which is founded, or established by endowment; an endowed institution or charity.
- The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is the parent organization of the Wiktionary collaborative project.
Etymology: From fundationem (nominative of fundatio).
- German: Stiftung(de)f
- Spanish: fundación(es)f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for foundation for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.